Modeling Energy for Sustainable Development in Ethiopia
The overall objective of this project is to assess the interlinkages between energy and the economy. The project aims to examine the implications of alternative energy system pathways to the economy, quality of environment, human health, and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in Ethiopia.
The research employs simulation models. It specifically applies recursive dynamic computable general equilibrium (CGE), and partial equilibrium energy models. It assesses the influence of various energy demand and supply drivers such as climate change, population and economic growth, and environmental and economic policies on the overall energy system as well as the indirect effects on the macroeconomy (e.g., employment, investment, exports), and the environment (e.g., GHG emissions).
The research attempts to incorporate as many as energy fuels relevant to the present and future contexts of the country. Detailed energy supply and demand data are collected and organized from various national and international data sources. The CGE model will be calibrated to a modified version of the 2015/16 Social Accounting Matrix (SAM) of Ethiopia and run scenario-based simulations until 2030 or 2050. The scenarios will, among others, represent different economic, energy, and environmental pathways. Utmost effort will be made to align these scenarios with the existing and upcoming sectoral and macroeconomic plans and priorities of the country.
- Yalew, A.W. (2022). Environmental and economic accounting for biomass energy in Ethiopia. Energy, Sustainability, and Society 12, 30. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13705-022-00356-2
- Yalew, A.W. (2022). The Ethiopian energy sector and its implications for the SDGs and modeling. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Transition, 2,100018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rset.2022.100018
- Yalew, A.W. (2021). Economic contributions and synergies of biogas with the SDGs in Ethiopia. Energy Nexus, 3, 100017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nexus.2021.100017
- Yalew, A.W. (2022).The implications of the Russia-Ukraine war for the Ethiopia economy: a CGE Analysis. Paper presented at the General Annual Meeting of the Pan-African Network for Economic Analysis for Policies (PANAP), 14-16 September 2022, Accra, Ghana. (Presented remotely).
- Yalew, A.W. (2022). The economy-wide implications of power sector reforms in Ethiopia. Paper presented at the International Conference on Economic Modeling and Data Science (EcoMod2022), 14-16 September 2022, Ljubljana, Slovenia.
- Yalew, A.W. (2021). Energy, Economic, and Environmental Accounting for Biomass Fuels in Ethiopia. Paper presented at the 6th AIEE Energy Symposium: Current and Future Challenges to Energy Security, 14-16 December 2021, Milan, Italy (Online).
- Yalew, A.W. (2021). Overview of the Ethiopian Energy Sector and its Implications for the SDGs and Modeling. Paper presented at the International Conference on Economic Modeling and Data Science, 7-9 July 2021, Milan, Italy (Online).
- Yalew, A.W. (2021). Overview of the Ethiopian Energy Sector and its Implications for the SDGs and Modeling. Paper presented at the SEEDS Workshop on Africa in the Sustainability Transition: Behavioral Change and Political Economy perspectives, 24-25 May 2021, Rome, Italy (Online).